Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Caught or Taught

Reading complex texts can be a challenge in this busy, distracting, technologically advanced world. Adults often marvel at all the multitasking that today's youths seem to be able to do. Complex reading requires focus and critical thought, while multitasking allows for constant interaction. These two skills seem on the opposite end of the spectrum, but in one way, I believe, they are very much alike.

It is our responsibility as educators and even as parents to educate and not assume children know. Not all students are able to just practice on their own and then be able to read complex texts. In a similar manner, while they may quickly learn to multitask, they do not necessarily know how to do it responsibly or efficiently. Both skills require some amount of instruction.

Thinking about my response tonight, one visual came to my mind, a commercial that I have seen several times, one that gets to me every time. A young girl is sitting in front of her room with a copy of a text message. All it says is the word "ya." She goes on to reveal that this was the text message her sister tried to view while driving, leading to a car crash and eventually her death. Sad, right? It seems common sense that we should not multitask while driving, yet even advertizements recognize that people are constantly making bad decisions and these decision need to be addressed.


Please don't misunderstand. I am not blaming educators for these events. I just wanted to point out that even skills that seem to come naturally need to be discussed and addressed. Just because a skill comes naturally doesn't mean we know how to use it properly and effectively. This is the job of teachers, to help children apply what they know in a manner that is beneficial to their future and if they are lacking a skill to teach them how to master it.

3 comments:

  1. I do agree with you that dealing with complex text needs to be learned. Students will not learn that they need to slow down, take information in chunks and ask themselves questions unless they are taught to do so. It must start at a very young age and the learning should progress as the student gets older.
    I am not sure that I agree with learning to multitask. Multitasking is something that no one is very good at, no matter how much you think you might be. I feel that society today is molding us into this fast paced, need to be connected society that doesn't have time for anything. In order to stay connected and save ourselves time, we multitask. It is something that has been caught from our society and the way we live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Thank you for making the clarification. I was thinking about some of the consequences of being so good at multitasking and how adults need to be aware and possibly teach students that there is another way and an appropriate time for multitasking.

      Delete
  2. Balance, balance, balance and a megadose of responsibility for students and teachers.

    ReplyDelete